14/03/2008 (Trento) D. Chiara Lubich

Written by Royal Deputation   

D. Chiara Lubich, Dame Grand Cross of the Constantinian Order and the founder of the Focolare movement died on 14 March 2008, aged 88.

Born Silvia Lubich in Trento, Italy, on 22 January 1920, she studied philosophy and later worked as an elementary school teacher in Trento.

On 7 December 1943, she made a personal commitment to God and changed her name to Chiara. From that day on, she and her closest friends - Focolari - have started their work on promoting the ideals of unity and universal brotherhood which grew into what is known today as the Focolare Movement, one of the leading religious movement who, despite its strongest link with the Roman Catholic Church, has reached to all other major Christian denominations as well as other major religions worldwide.

The Focolare Movement is present today in 182 nations and reaches over five million people.

Throughout the years dialogues have opened up: in the Catholic world, among individuals, groups, movements and associations, to contribute to the strengthening of unity; among Christians of different churches in order to work together towards full communion; among believers of different religions to foster universal brotherhood; and with people of good will with no religious affiliation to work together to safeguard human values such as freedom, respect for human rights, solidarity and peace.

The telegram from HH The Pope Benedict XVI to Fr. Oreste Basso, co-president of the Focolare Movement, for the death at the age of 88 of the movement's founder Chiara Lubich

With deep emotion I learned the news of the pious death of Ms Chiara Lubich, which came at the end of a long and fruitful life marked by her tireless love for the abandoned Jesus. At this moment of painful separation I remain affectionately and spiritually close to her relatives and to the entire Work of Mary - the Focolare Movement which  began with her - and to those who appreciated her constant commitment for communion in the Church, for ecumenical dialogue and for fraternity among all peoples. I thank the Lord for the witness of her life, spent in listening to the needs of modern man in complete faithfulness to the Church and to the Pope.

And, as I commend her soul to divine goodness that she may be welcomed in the bosom of the Father, I hope that those who knew and met her, admiring the wonders  that God achieved through her missionary ardour, may follow her footsteps and keep her charism alive. With such sentiments, I invoke the maternal intercession of Mary and willingly impart my apostolic blessing to everyone.

Recommended link:

The Focolare Movement

www.focolare.org

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

Contacts Royal Deputation

|  

Sitemap

|  

Links

|  

Guestbbook

|